Feed on
Posts
Comments

The club are keen to extend the Anfield Road stand by a further 4,800 seats as they look to increase their ground’s capacity by 8,500 in time for the 2016-17 season


Liverpool have been granted planning permission by Liverpool City Council to start the expansion of Anfield.

The Premier League club have been given the green light for a redevelopment which will see 8,500 seats added to their stadium’s Main Stand, taking the overall capacity to around 54,000.

Outline proposals to increase the capacity of the Anfield Road stand by around 4,800 were also given the go-ahead by the City Council’s Planning Committee on Tuesday, subject to conditions and legal agreement.

The club revealed that work on the Main Stand is due to start early next year and is expected to be completed in time for the beginning of the 2016-17 season if all goes to plan, with games still to be played at Anfield in the meantime.

Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre said: “Today’s approval by the Planning Committee is another step on our journey which we embarked on nearly two years ago.

“We received very positive support for our proposals during a public consultation exercise earlier this year and whilst we are delighted about the progress made today, there are still some steps that we need to navigate through in order to give us the certainty that we need to proceed with our expansion plans.”

Joe Anderson, the mayor of Liverpool, said: “This is a very important milestone in our ambitions to transform the Anfield area, bringing new jobs, investment and housing.

“The overall regeneration will see £260 million (€331m) invested in Anfield. Liverpool Football Club’s proposals for the stadium are a key part of this. The club is a major employer in the area and its stadium is a major draw for tourists and visitors.”

The scheme will also include a carefully designed area which will be the new home for the Hillsborough Memorial.


Dear user, your browser/application does not have JavaScript enabled.

To go to the site:

 1) Mobile applications, click here;

 2) otherwise click here;

All the languages of Goal.com:



English – United Kingdom

International

English – America

English – India

English – Ireland

English – Malaysia

English – Canada

English – Singapore

English – Australia

English – Nigeria

Español – España

Español – Estados Unidos

Español – Argentina

Español – Latinoamérica

Italiano

ภาษาไทย

Deutsch

Français

Português – Brasil

Nederlands

Türkçe

Indonesia

中文

繁體中文

한국어

日本語

فارسی

العربية

المصرية

السعودية

English – Ghana

English – Kenya

English – South Africa

Español – Colombia

Español – Chile

Español – México

Tiếng Việt

Español – Peru

English – Tanzania

Bosna i Hercegovina

Hrvatska





The Denmark captain claims he ended an eight-year spell at Anfield last summer because his manager failed to appreciate his contributions on and off the pitch


Daniel Agger has revealed that a personality clash with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers led to his departure from Anfield.

Agger ended an eight-year spell with Liverpool in August by returning to former club Brondby in a reported €4 million move.

The Denmark captain was second choice to Mamadou Sakho and Martin Skrtel in central defence last season as Liverpool finished second in the Premier League under Northern Irishman Rodgers.

And Dejan Lovren’s summer arrival from Southampton pushed Agger further down the Anfield pecking order.

However, Agger revealed that a failure of Rodgers – who he went on to describe as “an extremely competent coach” – to appreciate his contributions, rather than a lack of first-team opportunities, was the key factor in his decision to move back to his homeland.

“Let me put it this way - me and the manager were perhaps not on the same page for all of last season. For most of last season at least,” Agger told Danish TV programme Onside.

“There was some distance between us and for me that was enough. I didn’t feel that he appreciated the things I contributed. And when I feel that, then it is time to move on.

“Maybe where it went wrong between me and him is that I am very direct. I say things as they are, and also expect that people are [that way towards] to me. Maybe it’s wrong to expect that.”

Liverpool have lost three of their opening five Premier League games, with Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to West Ham coming four days after narrowly beating Ludogorets in Europe


Raheem Sterling has called on Liverpool to adapt to the added demands of Champions League football.

The club are back in Europe’s elite club competition after a five-year absence this season, but have lost three of their opening five top-flight fixtures this term following Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to West Ham.

Liverpool are already seven points adrift of unbeaten leaders Chelsea, but Sterling is not using the Champions League as a reason for his team’s poor form domestically.

“We can’t use playing in the Champions League as an excuse because there are other teams in the Premier League doing exactly the same as us who are winning games,” Sterling told the Liverpool Echo.

“The games are coming thick and fast but that’s what we want – to be competing at the top end of the Premier League and in the Champions League.

“What it means now is that after the second recovery day after a game we’re straight back into another game. That’s the way it’s going to be this season and that’s something we need to get used to.

Liverpool have badly missed star striker Daniel Sturridge, who sustained a thigh injury while on international duty with England earlier this month.

Sturridge is expected to return to the squad for Saturday’s crucial Merseyside derby against Everton – and Sterling cannot wait to line-up alongside the former Chelsea man again.

“Daniel is a massive miss for us with his goals and the way he plays in behind defenders,” added Sterling. “Him coming back should add another dimension to the team.”

The Reds were soundly beaten by West Ham in the Premier League at the weekend but the Northern Irishman is keen for his side to pick up a big victory in the League Cup


Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is eyeing a morale-boosting League Cup win over Middlesbrough ahead of Saturday’s derby clash with Everton.

Rodgers was left deflated by a 3-1 defeat at West Ham over the weekend, their third loss in five Premier League fixtures this term, and is determined to get back into the winning habit before hosting their local rivals.

With Champions League football to negotiate as well this season, Rodgers could be forgiven for sacrificing the cup, but the northern Irishman suggests that will not be the case when the Championship high-flyers visit.

“We’ve got a massive game in the up in the week and then an even bigger game next week when we play the derby,” Rodgers told reporters.

“We need to refocus now and look to get back to winning again.

“We have lost three out of our five games, so we need to be much better. We showed the potential in our team in the Tottenham game and we need to look to get back to that level as quickly as we can.

“There’s no doubt we need to go back onto the training ground and continue to work. We have set a new expectancy at the club that we have to deal with now.

“We have got lots of games and Liverpool as a football club is always a club that people want to beat, but certainly now in particular. But we have to deal with that and that is something that we will do.”

Rodgers is still expected to give some of his fringe players a chance, especially at the back, with Martin Skrtel only just returning from a knee injury at Upton Park and Dejan Lovren finishing that match with a heavily-bandaged head following a collision with team-mate Mamadou Sakho.

Middlesbrough will be without suspended midfielder Dean Whitehead after he was sent off late on in Saturday’s 4-0 Championship defeat of Brentford but centre-half Dani Ayala is available to return following a ban.

Aitor Karanka’s side have already enjoyed comfortable wins over Oldham and Preston in this competition and will travel to Merseyside in good heart following a run of three league victories.

“The most important thing is that we keep going in this way and win games,” Karanka told the club’s official website.

“We have won three in a row now, we have another on Tuesday and we have to keep looking at the following game.”

Older Posts »

Liverpool FC News © 2014 All Rights Reserved.