Liverpool top goalscorer Luis Suarez is available after serving a one-match ban and missing last weekend’s comeback victory at West Ham.
Jose Enrique (hamstring) was taken off midway through the first half of the 3-2 win, but manager Brendan Rodgers branded it only “a precaution”. The left-back is considered a doubt so Stewart Downing’s continuing presence in the position is more likely.
Nuri Sahin (face) missed the win on Sunday and is also in line for a return after being withdrawn during the win over Udinese. Elsewhere, Martin Kelly (knee) and Fabio Borini (foot) are long-term absentees.
Paul Lambert has a long injury list, but Joe Bennett (knee), who missed Tuesday’s Capital One Cup win over Norwich City could return. Captain Ron Vlaar (calf) and Enda Stevens (ankle) have not featured for three weeks so are unlikely to start.
Darren Bent (hamstring) was forced off in the win at Carrow Road in midweek but has found a place in the starting XI difficult to come by due to the form of Christian Benteke.
Long-term absentees Richard Dunne (groin) and Gary Gardner (knee) remain out for the foreseeable future.
- The Reds’ win at West Ham last week sealed back-to-back league victories for the first time since December 2011.
- Aston Villa have failed to win 15 of their last 16 away matches in the Premier League.
- Stewart Downing’s (pictured right) last Premier League goal was for Aston Villa against Liverpool.
- No team has scored fewer goals in the opening 15 minutes than Villa this season.
- All three of top goalscorer Christian Benteke’s Premier League goals have come at Villa Park.