Guus Hiddink has plenty of star talent at his disposal, with ex-Barcelona and Inter Milan striker Samuel Eto’o and former Premier League stars Chris Samba and Yuri Zhirkhov all expected to start this game.
Brendan Rodgers looks likely to rest most of his regular starters ahead of the Merseysiders’ trip to south-west Russia, with the Northern Irishman bound to have half an eye on his side’s Premier League clash with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Captain Steven Gerrard and star striker Luis Suarez are almost certain to be left out, whilst other first-choice players such as Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger and Joe Allen could be rested.
Fabio Borini (broken foot), Martin Kelly (knee) and Lucas (thigh) are all definitely out, whilst Pepe Reina and Glen Johnson (both hamstring) are unlikely to be rushed back for this game.
- The Dagestan-based club are currently second in the Russian Premier League, but they have never won the title.
- Despite being one of the highest paid players in the world, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o (right) is not Anzhi’s leading goalscorer this season, that honour belongs to Ivory Coast frontman Lacina Traore.
- Liverpool are one of the three most successful clubs in the history of this competition. They have won the tournament three times, along with Italian pair Juventus and Inter Milan
- Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has played a role in 10 of Liverpool’s 13 goals this season.
- Reds midifielder Jonjo Shelvey jointly leads the goalscoring charts in this season’s Europa League – he has three goals to his name.