Arsenal were hammered 5-1 on their last visit to Anfield but the Gunners boss is not expecting a similar result due on Sunday
Arsene Wenger does not fear a repeat of last season’s Premier League mauling when Arsenal visit Liverpool on Sunday.
Arsenal’s previous trip to Anfield ended in a 5-1 defeat – a match that saw Brendan Rodgers’ side leading 4-0 after 20 minutes – but Wenger does not believe Liverpool pose the same attacking threat now.
Luis Suarez was sold to Barcelona, while Daniel Sturridge has been injured since September, with summer arrivals Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert struggling for goals in their place.
“Every defeat leaves a scar in your heart,” Wenger told reporters.
“Last year Liverpool scored over 100 goals. Now they’re not on the same trend. They came off the blocks very strong last time.”
The trip to Merseyside also sees forward Alexis Sanchez come face-to-face with Liverpool, who he reportedly turned down in favour of a move to Arsenal in July.
The 26-year-old has quickly become a fans’ favourite at the Emirates Stadium with nine goals in 15 Premier League appearances.
And Wenger is delighted that the Chile international chose to join his side from Barcelona in the close-season.
“Every great player has the choice to play where he wants and he chose us,” he added. “We’re very happy. I told him the way we play football will suit him and all players want to play in the Champions League.”