Under-fire Mignolet shrugs off Valdes to Liverpool reports

The former Barcelona goalkeeper has been repeatedly linked with a move to Anfield but the beleaguered Belgian is adamant he only feels pressure from himself


Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet insists he is not concerned by criticism of his performances and reports that Victor Valdes could be set to take his No.1 spot at Anfield.

Belgium international Mignolet has kept just one clean sheet so far in the 2014-15 campaign, most recently conceding late on in the Merseyside derby in a 1-1 draw with Everton.

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher and ex-Manchester United captain Gary Neville were both highly critical of the 26-year-old’s positioning for Phil Jagielka’s equaliser during Sky Sports‘ ‘Monday Night Football’ programme.

But Mignolet is adamant the only pressure he feels is from himself and is refusing read much into persistent reports linking Valdes – currently a free agent as he recovers from a serious knee injury – with an imminent move to Anfield.

“If I had to look into all the players who are linked with Liverpool, then there would be another team on the pitch. Every week there would be a different 11 playing,” Mignolet told the Liverpool Echo.

“If you play for a big club, you have to accept that is the way it is, but I don’t read anything into that. I am here to play my game and to do my best every week. I can only work hard in training, be positive and make sure I play well.

“The only pressure is what you put yourself under. What is pressure? Pressure is what is happening in Iraq at the moment where there is a war. That is pressure,” the 14-time international said.

“We are football players and we are here to do our best. I can only do my best, work hard in training, be positive and confident and believe in myself. That is the only thing I can do.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.