Reading continue to be without Jason Roberts (thigh) and Jimmy Kebe (groin), while Hope Akpan is struggling with a knock picked up in the defeat to Southampton last week.
Pavel Pogrebnyak may replace him, joining Adam Le Fondre in a two-pronged attack.
Liverpool have doubts over Stewart Downing (illness), with Daniel Sturridge set to step up to Brendan Rodgers’ front-line.
Youngster Raheem Sterling (thigh) has been ruled out, while Fabio Borini, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly will all miss the rest of the season.
- From that matchday squad, only Nicky Shorey and Adam Federici remain at the club.
- Only Wigan have conceded more goals at home than Reading this season.
- The Royals’ central-midfielders have only contributed two goals in the Premier League this season, while Liverpool captain Gerrard (pictured right) already has nine to his name.
- Only Manchester United and Tottenham have scored more goals away from home in the league than the Reds this season.
- There has never been a goalless draw between these two sides in nine meetings.