Wigan defender Maynor Figueroa (ankle) is facing a late fitness test ahead of the visit of Liverpool but Arsenal loanee Ryo Miyaichi (ankle) is expected to return to the squad.
Ben Watson (leg) and Albert Crusat (knee) are both long-term absentees, however, and Ivan Ramis (knee) will not feature again until next season.
Liverpool will be without Fabio Borini (shoulder) for the rest of the campaign whilst Brad Jones (shoulder) is still out.
Young defender Martin Kelly (knee) is still some way from a return, but the Reds will have an otherwise fully fit squad should Daniel Sturridge (knock) pass a late fitness test.
- Steven Gerrard has already laid on nine assists so far this season, the most in the Premier League.
- Wigan‘s 2-1 win at Anfield last term was just their second over the Reds in Premier League history.
- If selected, Arouna Kone will make his 25th appearance for the Latics. He has already scored 10 times since moving from Levante.
- Goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi is just two appearances shy of 125 for Wigan.
- A six-goal game will take the number scored in Wigan – Liverpool contests to the half-century mark.