Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will be without long-term absentees Lucas Leiva (thigh), Fabio Borini (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) for the game, but has no new injury news to report, with Glen Johnson and Pepe Reina both expected to return.
His opposite number Alan Pardew will be without Cheikh Tiote, with the combative midfielder serving the second of his three-game ban for a red card received against Sunderland.
Elsewhere, Demba Ba is expected to have a late fitness test on a shin injury while Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling are ruled out with knee injuries and are not expected back for some time.
- That victory was the only game last season where Liverpool conceded first and then went on to win on home soil in the Premier League.
- The Reds have scored just four goals in four games at home so far this term.
- Brendan Rodgers’ side have also kept just two clean sheets in the league this campaign. Newcastle have fared even worse, keeping just one.
- Newcastle have drawn their last three away games in the top flight.
- A win at Anfield would be the Magpies’ first since 1994.
- Alan Pardew’s side won the last meeting between the two clubs, posting a 2-0 victory at home in April last season.