Monthly Archives: November 2013

Sturridge in line for Hull City start, reveals Rodgers

The 24-year-old has been struggling with a thigh injury and was restricted to a goalscoring substitute’s appearance in the Merseyside derby

Daniel Sturridge could return to Liverpool’s starting line-up for the trip to Hull City on Sunday after training “exceptionally well” this week, according to Brendan Rodgers.

The 24-year-old, who has been struggling with a thigh injury, was restricted to a brief substitute appearance in the 3-3 draw at Everton last weekend but still found time to grab a last-gasp equaliser.

He now has nine goals in 12 Premier League games this season and Rodgers revealed the striker may be handed a start at the KC Stadium.

“He has certainly trained very hard this week,” he told the club’s official website. “We’ve got another day to go to prepare and see where all the players are at.

“I like to give all the players every chance to show that they can be in the team. He has worked exceptionally well and, when he does that, his quality is there for everyone to see.”

Liverpool are winless in their last three away league matches but remain in the chasing pack behind leaders Arsenal.

Borini wants Serie A return in January, says agent

An injury soon after moving to Liverpool pushed the striker down the pecking order, while first-team chances have not been forthcoming while on loan at Sunderland

Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is eyeing a return to Serie A in January after failing to hold down a first-team spot while on loan at Sunderland, according to his agent.

The striker has seen his opportunities limited since moving to the Premier League from Roma in 2012 and has concerns over whether he will be able to force his way into Italy’s 2014 World Cup squad.

Despite agreeing to join Sunderland until the end of the season, Borini’s representative believes the player will be looking elsewhere in the new year.

“Liverpool own him and in the summer didn’t want him to leave, even though the player wants minutes,” Marco De Marchi is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

“He dreams of Brazil in 2014 and needs games. He’s only had a chance at Sunderland after the arrival of Gus Poyet, but it is still insufficient.

“I would like a meeting with Liverpool in January.”

Borini has made seven league appearances for Sunderland so far this season, with his only goal being the memorable winner in the derby encounter with Newcastle United on October 27.

Moses concerned at lack of first-team football at Liverpool

The on-loan forward says he wants to develop his game further at Anfield after struggling for chances recently, but is happy to be working under manager Brendan Rodgers

Victor Moses says wants to play “as much as possible” for Liverpool in order to reach his full potential.

The 22-year-old sealed a loan from to Anfield from Chelsea on deadline day and went on to start the Reds’ first six matches.

However, Moses has found himself on the bench recently, including Saturday’s Merseyside derby, and says he wants more game time as he looks to continue his development.

“The main thing is to be on the pitch and enjoy my football,” he told reporers. “That’s always been on my mind – to play games.

“There was only a little spell at Wigan, when I first signed there, when I wasn’t in the team every week. I’ve always gone to places for the football – places where I’m going to play. By playing, you learn.

“It may seem I’ve been around for a long time, but I’m still only 22. I think I can develop a lot more, but I realise to achieve that I’ve got to play as much as possible.”

Despite his frustration at being on the bench, Moses was full of praise for manager Brendan Rodgers and says he was a big reason for his decision to move to Anfield.

“He’s a great manager to play under,” he added. “He’s very clear with the players. He knows what he wants us to do.

“There’s a winning mentality, but he also realises that if we are enjoying ourselves, we’re likely to do better. I’ve known him since I was 16 – when I was at Palace and he was at Chelsea.

“He really wanted me to go there. I said no a few times. I thought Palace was the best place for me at that time. But he never forgot about me.

“I was delighted when he came in for me again. There were a few clubs interesting in taking me, but when I heard about Liverpool, my decision was made straightaway.

“I wanted to be at a club that is fighting for trophies,” he said of the Reds, who are in second place after 12 matches. “There’s a lot of quality here and if we can keep the momentum going.

“I think we can challenge for the Premier League and, if not, finish in the top four. You have to believe you can be the best, otherwise there’s no point in trying.”

Kolo Toure: Yaya way better than Busquets

The defender joined Liverpool on a free transfer in the summer, in circumstances that he sees as similar to when his brother left Barcelona in 2010

Liverpool defender Kolo Toure believes Barcelona made a mistake in selling brother Yaya Toure, who he believes is “much better” than Sergio Busquets.

Kolo moved to Anfield in the summer having fallen out of favour at Manchester City and he sees comparable factors between then and when Yaya faced left Camp Nou to join the Blues in 2010.

“I have had a similar experience to Yaya,” the 32-year-old told The Sun. “Coaches come to clubs bringing players with them and they want to pick them at all costs – whether they are any good or not.

“Yaya was much better than Sergio Busquets at Barcelona. But he was behind him in the pecking order and he found that hard to accept.

“I advised him to come to Manchester City while I was still there. He listened to his big brother’s advice – and now he is the big boss on the field for them.”

Kolo has already made eight league starts this season as his new club have climbed to second in the table, and the defender feels he has proven a point to City.

“I was better than certain players at Manchester City but I was left on the bench,” he added.

“Before I left the club, I told the people in charge that they would regret letting me go. People said I was finished and that I could never get back to my former level.

“But now I am at Liverpool – and I am sure that City must be kicking themselves when they see how I am performing.”

Rodgers ready to spend on Enrique replacement

With the Spaniard out until February after having surgery on his knee, the Anfield boss is looking for cover in defence to ensure his side can still compete for a top four finish

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is targeting defensive reinforcements in January to cope with the loss of injured left-back Jose Enrique.

The Anfield club confirmed the Spanish full-back will on the sidelines until February after undergoing surgery on a knee injury that has limited his first-team opportunities this season.

With only on-loan Aly Cissokho and youngster John Flanagan available to replace the 27-year-old, Rodgers is keen to bolster his ranks once the transfer window reopens in the new year.

“It is certainly something that – if Jose is going to be out for a long time – we would have to look at for sure,” he said.

“We think Jose will be a few months. It is not a long-term one but will be the new year for sure.

“It is not ideal; you would prefer two in there to really be challenging. Jose is clearly one of the best left-backs in the league and to have him out is a blow.”